Applications of Epidemiology
Applications of Epidemiology—A Case Study
The situation at the regional Good Health Hospital has become overwhelming. Since the outbreak of Escherichia coli (E. coli) in Ward 10 on the second floor. It appears that there are six cases of the disease. To better understand the situation, communication with the Centers for Disease Control. And Prevention has revealed that this particular bacterium can be found in many everyday items. The CDC recommends that investigation begin in the hospital kitchens because E. coli can be transmitted via contaminated vegetables. As well as delicatessen meats such as salami and other cold cuts. The following table shows the number of cases identified so far:
*** *Case study chart was uploaded****
After a meeting yesterday with the chief administrator, Joe Wellborn, it has been decided that the litigation issues with one of the patients may need further information to determine whether the patient was already symptomatic with the bacteria before admission. Research has indicated that hospitals operating in the Tampa Bay area have been known to have cases of E. coli contamination. This substantiates the need for further investigations by the county health department.
Due to the severity of the cases and the potential for further spread, it is recommended that the hospital seek alternative vending services because the present suppliers cannot verify sanitation protocols for their products. In conclusion, the study done at Good Health Hospital has indicated that the E. coli outbreak was in fact caused by spoiled food from the cafeteria.As a social science researcher working for the regional hospital, you are placed in charge of contacting the department of health (DOH) from your home state, as well as the CDC for statistical data on nosocomial diseases (diseases starting in a hospital) that frequently cause illness at your health care facility. Using information from both agencies, evaluate the data on common nosocomial diseases and compile a treatment contingency plan for dealing with the hospital infections.
Write a 5 page evaluation report in which you do the following:
- Analyze Good Health Hospital’s records and itemize recent nosocomial infections that occurred within the past year. In your report, categorize the different parameters (that is, person, time, place, ethnicity, and gender) used in the compilation of data into the information summative.
- Propose at least six questions for the health care administrator at Good Health Hospital regarding potential litigation issues with infections from the nosocomial diseases. In the report, rationalize the logic behind the six questions.
- Identify a targeted audience within Good Health Hospital and prepare an implementation plan based on a hypothetical meeting with the hospital health care administrator. Propose four steps that will be useful in the final implementation plan.
- Suggest at least five recommendations to the department head based on the steps taken in the implementation plan. Provide a rationale for suggestions.
- Design a safety protocol itinerary that must be placed in public access areas of the hospital, using these approved recommendations.
- Use at least four peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. These must come from journal sources. Note: Fact Sheets, Wikipedia, and nonacademic websites do not qualify as academic resources.