military nurse’s dilemma
You will write a three-page paper analyzing this military nurse’s dilemma in terms of the following question. Provide a bibliography of at least three references.
There is a decision between an ethical dilemma and a moral dilemma:
· An ethical dilemma requires a choice between two equally appealing, mutually exclusive choices OR two equally distasteful alternatives. Also mutually exclusive.
· A moral dilemma emerges when a person knows what is right but is constrained from doing it by forces beyond his control, or conversely, knows what is wrong but is compelled to do it anyway.
A military RN is ordered to force feed a terrorist prisoner while he is undergoing interrogation. The prisoner is on a hunger strike protesting his capture and highlighting his cause. The nurse is to ensure the prisoner remains hydrated and fed so he can provide information and does not starve. The nurse is torn. On the one hand, the nurse has strong loyalty to the military objective of ensuring public safety by uncovering terrorists plots along with fear of reprisal if orders are disobeyed. Yet, the nurse is appalled at overriding a patient’s wishes by force feeding him against his will.
Please answer the following questions in your paper:
1. Is this an ethical dilemma or a moral dilemma?
2. What ethical principles are in contention? How?
3. Are there any virtues at risk? Whose? Why?
4. What justifies overriding an individual’s autonomy to make his own choices?
5. What lessons can be learned from this nurse’s dilemma?
The paper should be an APA formatted paper. The components should include a title page, the body of the paper with a conclusion, and a reference page. You will have in-text citations APA cited and you will have the reference page APA formatted. You should have at least three (3) references to support your viewpoint.
Please make sure your work is your own and do not copy and paste from an article. The faculty will be checking plagiarism so please do not plagiarize. If there is plagiarism you will receive a zero on the paper. If safe assign displays more than 10%, you will receive a ZERO.